Our Bureau
02:04 PM, May 14, 2018
1977
Britain's third £1 billion Astute class nuclear submarine, HMS Artful (Image: UK MoD)

The UK Ministry of Defense (MoD) is investing £2.5 billion to boost Britain’s submarine building projects.

Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson announced Monday that £960 million worth of contracts have been signed to ramp up the next phase of construction for the UK’s four nuclear-armed Dreadnought submarines.

He also announced that the Ministry of Defence has signed a £1.5 billion contract to build a seventh Astute hunter-killer submarine for the Royal Navy, before revealing that the attack boat will be called Agincourt. It will be the sixth vessel in the Royal Navy to be named after the Battle of Agincourt of 1415.

“Agincourt will complete the Royal Navy’s seven-strong fleet of hunter-killer attack subs,” Williamson said.

The Defence Secretary made the announcements during a ceremony at BAE Systems’ shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness Cumbria. He also opened a new £100 million submarine construction building in the Cumbria factory.

The new building will be used to outfit and test each section of the new Dreadnought submarines. The Dreadnought Submarine Programme will now move into its second phase. This will continue the design and build of the first Dreadnought submarine and commence the build of the second, including furthering the design and manufacture of the nuclear propulsion power plant. This phase has commenced with contracts signed for £900 million and £60 million with BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce respectively, the statement read.

Defence Minister Guto Bebb said, “Today’s announcement includes a £60m contract for Rolls-Royce.”

The Submarine Delivery Agency, which was established last month, will project manage the construction of future Royal Navy submarines, and support those in-service, working with Navy Command and the newly established Defence Nuclear Organisation.

Also Read
Features
More..