India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has invited private companies to partner with the government to develop and manufacture its first unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV), similar to the US Predator drone.
The UCAV project, called Rustom-2 project was brought under the “Strategy India” category with funding by the government because the private companies had been lukewarm about building prototypes at their own expenses. In the "Strategy India" category, the government funds up to 80 percent in the development of the prototype, while the remaining 20 percent is funded by the selected private development agency, according to Defense News.
The development cost of Rustom-2 is estimated to be about $200 million. DRDO will fund 80 percent of the development and prototype cost for the Rustom-2 UCAV, and the remaining 20 percent will be paid by private Indian defense companies. This is the first time DRDO has invited private companies to develop prototypes under their guidance. In doing so, the Defence Ministry is reversing its decision to build Rustom-2 using only DRDO and state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
India's domestic private sector defense companies including L&T, Tata Power SED,Mahindra Defence System, Data Patterns India Pvt. Ltd. and Bharat Forge Ltd are likely to be frontrunners to compete for the Rustom-2 project.
India began its Rustom-1 UAV in 2006 and initially wanted participation by domestic defense companies. However, after the MoD failed to give firm commitments of orders to the selected company, none of the defense companies from the private sector participated. HAL then became the production agency.
Weighting 1,800 kilograms, Rustom-2 will have a payload of 350 kilograms, and a flight endurance of up to 48 hours. The two 100-horsepower engines will be capable of flying up to 36,000 feet with a range of 100 kilometers.
Indias Radel Advanced Technology (RAT) is developing a series of indigenous technologies for the Indian Air Force (IAF). "An electronic Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) for the Dornier (maritime reconnaissance) aircraft is under development and has successfully undergone functional testing at Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)
A missile-evading drone called ‘Sarallah that escapes thermal and air-to-air missile power, has been developed for the first time in the world by an Iranian expert. “No missile can approach the drone any closer than 250 meters," said Hassan Akbari Layeq who has built the 'Sarallah Drone' was quoted as saying by Fars News Agency on Sunday
Lockheed Wins US Navy's Super Hornet IR Search and Track System Contract
General Dynamics To Support Saudi's SLAM-ER Weapon System
Raytheon Wins $80M Lightweight Torpedo Contract for US, India, 4 Others
Raytheon to Replace Solid State Modules for US Navy's Missile Warning System,...
Israel to Modernise Ukrainian MiG-29 Jets for $440M
MiG-35 Shows Off New AESA Radar at MAKS 2019
Russian S-300s, S-400s Fail to Detect Israeli F-35s Flying Over Syria: Reports...
Russia Unveils its Biggest Ever Drone to Compete with US Global Hawk
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly permeating the defence industry to aid and improve human decision-making
Upgrade of Russias Sukhoi Su-30SM fighters to equip them with armaments, radar, sensors and engines from the more powerful Su-35...
US companies sanctioned by China for supplying weapons to Taiwan may be denied rare earth elements (REEs), which have critical...
While the US F-35 stealth aircraft has become one the fastest selling fighter jets in the world aircraft market, thanks...
Russian state-run Almaz-Antey has released additional data on its latest export-version of Buk-M3 Viking air defense missile system (ADMS)
The MiG-29, one of Russias most exported military jet has been upgraded in India that expands its capabilities from an...