The Indian Government has so far issued 251 Letters of Intents and industrial licences covering 150 companies till January 2015 for manufacture of defence equipment to public, private companies.
49 license companies covering 72 licenses have so far reported commencement of production, defence minister Manohar Parrikar told Indian parliament today
The following major steps have been taken for domestic manufacture of defence equipments:
FDI Policy in Defence sector has been reviewed and as per the new policy, composite foreign investment up to 49% has been allowed through FIPB route and beyond 49% with the approval of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) wherever it is likely to result in access to modern and ‘State-of-the-art’ technology in the country.
Defence Products List for the purpose of industrial licensing has been revised and in the revised list most of the components, parts and raw materials have been taken out from the purview of the industrial licensing.
Further, the initial validity of industrial licensing has been increased to three years and, thereafter, two time extension of 02 years each may be granted to a company by the Administrative Ministry.
Government has accorded priority to ‘Buy (Indian)’, ‘Buy & Make (Indian)’ and ‘Make’ categories of acquisition over ‘Buy (Global)’ category to promote domestic manufacturing.
So far 33 FDI proposals, Joint Ventures have been approved in Defence sector for manufacture of various defence equipments, both in public and private sector.
Indian Government will be funding its first “Make” contract that involves two private consortia (BEL-Rolta and Tata Power and L&T) for a battlefield management system development project of the Indian armed forces. The government will be funding 80 percent of the prototype cost and the remaining 20 percent will have to be borne by the consortia
India might consider acquiring four warships from Russias Yantar shipyard, which has built six frigates for the Indian Navy, Ria Novosti quoted the Shipyards chief Oleg Shumakov as saying on Wednesday. "We will explore the possibility of new orders to build [vessels] for the Indian fleet
Indian government intends to purchase 22 Harpoon missiles for Indian Navys Shishumar Class submarines from US costing an approximate $200 million, Stratpost reported today. India has so far ordered 26 missiles for the eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft at an estimated $200 million that will be integrated by Boeing and 24 missiles for the Indian Air Force (IAF) Jaguar aircraft for $170 million integrated by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
Mitsubishi SpaceJet Delivery Could be Delayed by a Year
Pakistan Army Gets New EW, Ground Surveillance Radar Facility
Nearly 3 Dozen US Personnel Diagnosed with Brain Injury Post Iran Strike
Longbow to Support Apache's Fire Control Radars of S.Korea, Taiwan, Saudi, UAE,...
Junked Railway Rake Mistook for Indian ICBM
France “Obstructing” Turkey-Eurosam Missile Defence System Project: Turkish Official
Turkey All But Gives up on F-35 Jet Deal, Seeks Alternatives
Indonesia Seeks Rafale Jets, Submarines, Warships in Defence Cooperation Deal with France
Several joint production and direct procurement programs could be halted if the US and Europe carry through with their threat...
Sanctions-hit Iran has found ingenious ways to develop military hardware
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly permeating the defence industry to aid and improve human decision-making
Upgrade of Russias Sukhoi Su-30SM fighters to equip them with armaments, radar, sensors and engines from the more powerful Su-35...
US companies sanctioned by China for supplying weapons to Taiwan may be denied rare earth elements (REEs), which have critical...
While the US F-35 stealth aircraft has become one the fastest selling fighter jets in the world aircraft market, thanks...