Single-Vendor Tender For Indo-Russian JV To Supply Ka-226T Helicopters

  • Our Bureau
  • 02:50 PM, March 31, 2017
  • 4887
Single-Vendor Tender For Indo-Russian JV To Supply Ka-226T Helicopters
India To Build 200 Russian Kamov Ka-226T Helicopter

India has finalized the roadmap with Russia to co-produce 200 Kamov Ka 226T light Utility helicopters under $1 billion deal in the South Asian country.

Russia’s Rostec Corp. will own a 49.5 percent stake in the new entity, and India's HAL will own the remaining 50.5 percent. Thereafter, the Indian Ministry of Defence will issue a single-vendor tender to Indo-Russian Helicopters, which will then submit its technical and commercial proposal within six months.

The move would initiate the $1 billion program. "With the road map now in place, the production of Kamov 226T helicopters has formally taken off," said a top executive of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), DefenseNews reported Thursday.

"The helicopters are to be produced through a joint venture company as per the intergovernment agreement between the two countries in October 2016, and the road map for the acquisition is finalized.” Gopal Sutar, the chief of media communications at HAL, said.

The move for joint production in India currently awaits formal approval by Russian President Vladimir Putin. His approval leads to the new production entity Indo-Russian Helicopters.

 

However, the price of the helicopter remains an concern, few anaysts said. The issue will be sorted out in the technical and commercial proposal, the top HAL executive said.

"I am more than sure that the agreement would also have indicated the price and other financial details, including share holdings in the joint venture," a defense analyst and retired Indian Air Force air marshal, said.

Under the $1 billion deal for 200 Kamov Ka-226Ts, India will buy 60 helicopters in fly-away condition from Russia while another 40 will be assembled in India and the remaining 100 fully built in India.

The manufacturing will take place in Southern part of India at a new complex in Tumkur near HAL's Bangalore helicopter complex.

"Apart from production, the plan also includes setting up repair and maintenance facilities to provide faster support to the armed forces," the HAL executive said. 

Also Read

Indo-Russian JV Could Manufacture 400 Kamov 226-T Helicopters

February 15, 2017 @ 03:53 PM

India, Russia Finalise Agreement To Co-Produce Kamov 226T Helicopters

February 15, 2017 @ 08:29 AM

India, Russia sign Deals For Kamov, S-400 ‘Triumf’, Stealth Vessels At Brics...

October 15, 2016 @ 11:27 PM

India, Russia Likely To Ink Kamov 226T Helicopter Production Agreement During BRICS...

October 13, 2016 @ 08:44 AM

Russian Ka-226T Helicopter Certified for Hot Weather Operation

March 21, 2018 @ 10:35 AM

Russian Helicopters’ Ka-226T Clears Iranian High-temperature Tests

September 13, 2017 @ 01:23 PM

Russia May Prepone Supply of Ka-226T Helicopters to India

August 29, 2017 @ 01:48 PM

Final Approval For Indo-Russian JV To Manufacture 200 Ka-226T Choppers

April 6, 2017 @ 02:27 PM

Russia Hands Over First Mi-17V-5 Helicopter To Kenya

April 1, 2017 @ 12:47 PM

Russia Accelerates Yasen-Class Submarine Plan

March 31, 2017 @ 03:35 PM
FEATURES/INTERVIEWS