North and South Korea began de-mining activity today in parts of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating them as per a recent agreement to reduce tensions and prevent accidental clashes, Seoul's defense ministry said.
The de-mining is part of an agreement to eliminate the danger of war signed during the latest summit between President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang last month.
"Regarding the landmine removal work as the starting point, the military authorities of the two Koreas will make joint efforts to ensure that their military agreement will be carried out systematically and normally," the ministry said in a press release, as quoted by Yonhap News.
After the landmine removal, set to last for 20 days, the two Koreas and the U.N. Command (UNC), which oversees activities in the DMZ, are expected to launch trilateral consultations over a range of issues, such as how their troops will operate following their disarmament.
The agenda may also include the idea of stationing 35 troops each from the two Koreas in the JSA for joint security operations.
The work to eliminate landmines in Arrowhead Ridge in Cheorwon, a site of an intense battle during the Cold War conflict, will continue until Nov. 30. The remains of some 500 troops, including around 300 UNC troops, are estimated to be buried in the ridge.