The Israeli Defense Force (IDF)’s Iron Dome deployed to intercept rockets being launched at a rate of one in every seven and a half minutes in the Gaza Strip, has reportedly intercepted 90% of its targets.
Tensions in the region escalated after the IDF killed Baha Abu al-Ata, commander of Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) group, on Tuesday.
“Once every 7 and a half minutes. That's how often the Islamic Jihad has been launching rockets at Israeli towns and cities from Gaza over the last 27 hours,” the IDF tweeted.
As of Wednesday afternoon, 220 rockets had been fired at Israel from Gaza, the IDF said.
The Iron Dome truck-towed, mobile air defense system was developed by Israel’s Rafael and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). The system has been developed to counter very short range rockets and artillery shell (155mm) threats with ranges of up to 70km.
Dozens of the incoming projectiles were shot down by soldiers operating the Iron Dome missile defense system, representing a 90% interception rate for rockets heading toward populated areas. The remaining 10% of projectiles struck homes, businesses and roadways, causing significant damage, but relatively few injuries, local media reported, citing the Israeli army.
Israel has completed decade-long tests of its new upgraded Iron Dome system on Sunday, with the defense ministry claiming it to have completed 2,400 successful interceptions with a success rate of over 85%. “We have completed a series of tests with a success rate of 100 percent
IndoIsraeli JV to Manufacture Loitering Munition
New Hypersonic Missile Makes Russian Pantsyr-S More Lethal
Leonardo to Buy Swiss Helicopter Maker Kopter Group AG
Raytheon Developing Next Gen Jammer for EA-18G Growler Aircraft
Junked Railway Rake Mistook for Indian ICBM
France “Obstructing” Turkey-Eurosam Missile Defence System Project: Turkish Official
Indonesia Seeks Rafale Jets, Submarines, Warships in Defence Cooperation Deal with France
Turkey All But Gives up on F-35 Jet Deal, Seeks Alternatives
Several joint production and direct procurement programs could be halted if the US and Europe carry through with their threat...
Sanctions-hit Iran has found ingenious ways to develop military hardware
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly permeating the defence industry to aid and improve human decision-making
Upgrade of Russias Sukhoi Su-30SM fighters to equip them with armaments, radar, sensors and engines from the more powerful Su-35...
US companies sanctioned by China for supplying weapons to Taiwan may be denied rare earth elements (REEs), which have critical...
While the US F-35 stealth aircraft has become one the fastest selling fighter jets in the world aircraft market, thanks...