The fire aboard submarine, INS Sindhuratna, originated in the cables of the vessel and not the battery compartment as originally reported last week.
According to local media reports, the Board of Inquiry (BoI) into the accident has found that the fire battery pit has been found to be fully safe and the fire took place in the compartment above it.
The investigations are still going on into the incident and other two mishaps involving the Kilo Class submarines of the Navy in the last seven months, Navy sources told the Indian Express.
The incident, is the third of its kind involving kilo-class submarines and, resulted in the death of two officers and severely affected seven other sailors last week.
was caused due to problems in the cables of the vessel.