Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Rolta India announced today that their consortium has been selected for the $8.01 billion (INR 50,000 Crore) Battlefield Management System (BMS) development project by Indian Defense Forces.
Another consortium led by Tata Power SED and L&T Defense are also part of the BMS development project. The government will be funding 80 percent of the prototype cost and the remaining 20 percent will have to be borne by the consortiums. Both the consortia will have to develop the prototype in 2-3 years. Around 70 percent of the order is with the BEL-Rolta consortium and the rest of 30 percent is with the Tata-L&T consortium.
The BMS project, categorized as a “Make” programme under the DPP, will be one of the largest solutions to be indigenously manufactured for the Indian Defense.
This project is meant to deliver Command and Control capabilities to the fighting echelons, operating at the forward edge of the Tactical Battle Area at the Battalion and Combat Group levels. BMS is a situational awareness and visualization system that aims to optimize the operational effectiveness of tactical units.
BEL has been working on battlefield management systems. The Company has established the test bed of BMS for continuous evaluation and implementation of user requirements. Having worked on several Tactical Command, Control, Communications & Intelligence (Tac C3I) systems of the Indian Army, in association with DRDO, BEL has the unique capability of developing and integrating Tac C3I systems and will lead the consortium.
As a part of the consortium, Rolta will execute its role and responsibility in areas of BMS application software development and applicable licensing, GIS software and GIS data services. Rolta will also jointly work with BEL for manufacturing subsystems for the soldier system, the overall system design, integration, installation, commissioning and maintenance of the BMS solution.
P C Jain, Director (Marketing), BEL, said: “The consortium of BEL and Rolta is fully geared up to take on the challenge of development of the Battlefield Management System for our Defence forces. We also aim to maximize the indigenous content through in-house development of various sub-systems.”
“It is indeed a privilege for us to be part of this prestigious “Make In India” programme for the Indian Defense,” said K K Singh, Chairman and Managing Director, Rolta India Limited.
BEL is offering indigenously-built radars for the Indian Air Forces LCA Tejas currently featuring Israeli multi-mode radars on board. SK Sharma, Chairman and Managing Director of BEL told reporters here at Aero India 2015, “Our Active Array Radar is currently being developed in collaboration with DRDO, and would take 2 years to complete
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has won a contract at Aero India 2015 from Elbit Systems for the production of Elops Compact Multi-Purpose Advanced Stabilized Systems (CoMPASSTM). This is in addition to an earlier order for the supply of CoMPASS, received by BEL from Elop in 2014
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) will be displaying its wide-range of capabilities that span every domain of its business at Aero India 2015. BEL will demonstrate some of its new products/ technologies, which are R&D capabilities
India defence Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Thales announce that the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India, has approved the incorporation of their joint venture company, BEL-THALES Systems Limited, in late August this year. This joint venture (JV) Company will primarily focus on the design, development, marketing, supply and support of civilian and select defence radars for India and the global markets
Indias Bharat Electronics today announced that Manmohan Handa took over as the new Director (Bangalore Complex). Handa was the General Manager of BELs Missile Systems Strategic Business Unit (SBU) prior to this promotion
An Indian firm Kaynes has developed a technology which allows missiles to self-destruct after the launch, if it veers off-course or if it detects unauthorized access to controls. A senior DRDO official was quoted as saying by TOI on Monday that the company has developed an Electronic Safe Arm Fire Systems (ESAFS) ballistic missile actuator unit, which is being evaluated by DRDO's missile teams for integration into various platforms
Indias INR 50,000 crore (US$8.01 billion) Battlefield Management System (BMS) project prototype will be ready by 2017, KK Singh, CMD of Rolta India said during an interview with an Indian News Channel
The Indian MoD has formulated a Defence Export Strategy and also a Standard Operating Procedure for issuing ‘No Objection Certificate (NOC) for export of ‘military stores. Since 2008, the directorate general of foreign trade has empowered the department of defence production to issue the NOC
Indian Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced today that the government would allocate a budgetary estimate of INR 2.46 trillion (US$40
Indian Government will be funding its first “Make” contract that involves two private consortia (BEL-Rolta and Tata Power and L&T) for a battlefield management system development project of the Indian armed forces. The government will be funding 80 percent of the prototype cost and the remaining 20 percent will have to be borne by the consortia
Delivery of 6 Pantsir-S1 Missile Systems to Serbia in 2020
Lead Russian Project 20385 Corvette Wraps Up State Trials
Indonesia Seeks Rafale Jets, Submarines, Warships in Defence Cooperation Deal with France
BAE to Buy Collins’ Military GPS, Raytheon’s Tactical Radio Businesses for $2.2B...
Algeria In Talks With Russia for a Dozen Su-57 Jets
France “Obstructing” Turkey-Eurosam Missile Defence System Project: Turkish Official
Junked Railway Rake Mistook for Indian ICBM
Turkey All But Gives up on F-35 Jet Deal, Seeks Alternatives
Several joint production and direct procurement programs could be halted if the US and Europe carry through with their threat...
Sanctions-hit Iran has found ingenious ways to develop military hardware
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly permeating the defence industry to aid and improve human decision-making
Upgrade of Russias Sukhoi Su-30SM fighters to equip them with armaments, radar, sensors and engines from the more powerful Su-35...
US companies sanctioned by China for supplying weapons to Taiwan may be denied rare earth elements (REEs), which have critical...
While the US F-35 stealth aircraft has become one the fastest selling fighter jets in the world aircraft market, thanks...