Korea Steals Game Footage For Fighter Jet Promotional Video
01:41 PM, January 21, 2017
Left: Agency for Defense Development (ADD)'s promotional video for the KF-X project. Right: Game footage from EA game "Battlefield 3." Photo Credit: The Korea Times
South Korea has presented a video in which it had used scenes from the game Battlefield 3 and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon without the consent of their original producers.
South Korea's defense department is working with Indonesia on a KF-X project, meant to create technology-driven fighter jets. To demonstrate the capabilities of its future hunts, it presented a video but the scenes in that were used without the permission from Electronic Arts (EA) or Namco Bandai, responsible for the rights of those games.
The scenes can be seen between the minutes 6:53 and 7:03. At one point, English subtitles of the original game are seen on the video, The Korea Times reported.
Released one year ago, the promotional video, titled "KFX Promotional Video ADD," has been played more than 12,000 times on YouTube and can be seen on other websites promoting the KF-X project, which will cost up to 30 trillion won ($24.9 billion) by 2028.
Producing this video with scenes stolen from video games cost the Defense Ministry more than $ 40,000.
Until now it is unknown whether EA or Namco Bandai will take legal reprisals for the use of their intellectual property without authorization.
The agency responsible for the video calls that they have just developed the script or script clip and have not provided the final images.
Bandai Namco has not yet made official statements but could take legal action given the misuse of copyrighted materials.
"Following the enquiry of The Korea Times made into the use of game footage in our KF-X promotional video, we checked with Nabix and confirmed that the footage was inserted without consent of the original producers," said Shin Hwan-gyu Spokesman of Defense Development (ADD), which initiated the KF-X project, said.
"We were not aware of this." Hwan-gyu added.
South Korea is considering buying 12 additional maritime choppers by 2022 to counter North Korean submarine threats for an estimated $768 million.
The Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) is considering three models for the acquisition
South Korea is planning to develop a laser weapon system by 2020 to counter the threats posed by North Korea's unmanned aerial vehicles.
“We will develop laser technology by next year to shoot down aerial drones...
Fincantieri has been designated as the preferred bidder for South Korean STX Shipbuildings French unit by a South Korean court.
Fincantieri would now conduct field research on the shipyard and agree a price with the South...
South Korea Marine Corps will replace all of its static 90mm coastal defense guns with new 70mm Low-Cost Guided Imaging Rocket (LOGIR) to allow its troop to better counter seaborne threats from North.
The new weapons...
South Koreas F-16 fighter jets will be upgraded with GBU-31 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) and AIM-120 mid-range air-to-air missiles, capable of hitting North Korea's underground targets and downing combat jets.
JDAM can hit underground military...
South Korea's trainer jet has taken its first test flight in US last week after both the countries agreed to mutually recognize its airworthiness certification in September.
On 19 November, the 'T-X' trainer, a modified version...
Fresh satellite imagery shows that North Korea has apparently restarted its plutonium-producing nuclear reactor.
"Imagery from January 22 shows a water plume (most probably warm) originating from the cooling water outlet of the reactor, an indication...