Our Bureau
01:08 PM, April 21, 2017
2674
Belgian f-16 fighter jet

Boeing has pulled out of Belgian F-16 replacement program and also informed the government that it will not participate in the bidders’ conference nor respond to the request for proposal (RFP).

“We regret that after reviewing the request we do not see an opportunity to compete on a truly level playing field with the extremely capable and cost-effective F/A-18 Super Hornet, the company said in a statement Thursday.

“This decision allows Boeing to concentrate its efforts and resources on supporting our global customers, securing new orders and investing in technology and systems required to meet the threats of today and tomorrow.

“Where there is a full and open competition we look forward to bringing the full depth and breadth of The Boeing Company to our offer,” said Gene Cunningham, vice president, BDS Global Sales.

Belgium opened a $3.85 billion tender last month for the replacement of its ageing US-built F-16 jet fighter fleet with new multi-role aircraft.

"The current 54 F-16 fighters will be replaced by 34 new multi-role aircraft," the ministry of defence announced March 17 this year.

The cost of the 34 aircraft is put at 3.6 billion euros (3.85 billion), with another 1.2 billion euros to cover training and maintenance, ministry spokesman Laurence Mortier had said.

Boeing has also lodged legal action against Denmark Defense officials for refusing to fully disclose documents, showing how it evaluated competing fighter jets before it selected Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jet.

Denmark picked Lockheed Martin's F-35 advanced tactical fighter and became a partner in the Joint Strike Fighter program over Boeing's Super Hornet and the Eurofighter group's Typhoon.

Boeing challenged it, saying "the evaluation process was flawed and unfair".

Also Read
Features
More..